Here are 10 key points you need to know if you are ever invited to an Arab wedding.
1. The music will be LOUD and I mean so loud you can barely talk.
2. The bride will appear extremely late (both to the pre-wedding party and the main event)
3. There will be a lot of food.
4. You will drink mainly sweet tea.
5. There is no possibility that you will ever over-dress.
6. You won’t see a bloke unless you stay around until the very end (around 1.30am) when the groom appears.
7. Everyone will be very nice to you, but you will only be able to tell that by their smiles, as you can’t really hear what they say.
8. You will have to leave any cameras or mobiles with cameras at the door.
9. There are no boring speeches.
10. If you are invited, you are expected to go, it is very rude not to. And you should, it’s good fun. Added to which it is possibly the only time I have ever been to bed in the early morning and not woken up with a hangover.
Girls in dresses borrowed from Mahara and Salama before the pre-wedding party
Our house lit up (Ali’s house is on the left)
Me getting ready
Bea and Leo ready for the party
Copyright: Helena Frith Powell 2009